Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Obadiah's Reading List...

So, I've been thinking for the last couple of weeks: is my brain all it should be? Am I using my mind to its potential? The answer is obviously no. Few of us are using our mind to its fullest potential, but maybe we should try a little harder.

Think about it like this: Many of us are currently spending TONS of money to have a formal institution educate us. How do they educate us? They give us a list of books to read. We read those books and then listen to authorities on those subjects lecture to us. We then try to memorize items for tests and synthesize items for papers.

What if that was taken away? What if the only way to further your education was to do it yourself?

This, my friends, is the challenge of post-college life. Once you leave the hallowed halls of your institution of higher learning you will be on your own. You can either continue to educate yourself or rely mostly on what you've learned. My concern is that I've spent too much time relying on previous learning and not enough time ingesting some new stuff. It's time to change that.

I've written all of that to say this: I'm looking for some good books. These books do not necessarily have to revolve around one subject. I'm not specifically looking for a self-help book, a guide to Christian living, or a doctoral thesis on behavioral psychology. (Though these are all acceptable suggestions.) I AM looking for fascinating reads. I'm looking for the books that you read and couldn't put down. I don't care if they are history, novel, or theology. Whatever comes to mind. E-mail them my way. I'm going to make a reading list. At some point in the future I'll post the list. Rather than be overwhelmed by a HUGE list, I may choose six or so books and then do another list at another time. I'll let you know.

None of these books will be started until I finish what I'm currently reading:

I'm thoroughly enjoying this one. If you're interested, you can learn more about it here.

Here are a few other books that people e-mailed in to recommend:

You: The Owners Manual- Josh from his iPhone

This Present Darkness- Nameless dude from his phone

Changes that Heal- Emily

The Father Heart of God- Paul

Keep 'em coming!

3 comments:

Nikki said...

Ummmm - why did you not include Pride and Prejudice and Zombies :)

You will be reading that...lol

Chris Hutton said...

Some of the best books I have read are:

Epicenter by Joel C. Rosenberg,
(Political Book)

The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman
(Current Events)

Anything By Malcolm Gladwell,

David Ferrell said...

The Collected Fictions of Jorge Luis Borges (short stories).
C.S. Lewis - Till We Have Faces.
Augustine's Confessions.